Advanced Level Pure Mathematics
2 sessions of 2 hours weekly
The aim of this course is to:
- Prepare students for further studies in Mathematics and related subjects.
- Extend the students’ range of mathematical techniques so as to apply them in more difficult and unstructured problems.
- Develop in students the ability to read and understand a wider range of mathematical articles and arguments.
- Enable students to formulate a mathematical representation of a real life situation.
- Use appropriate technology such as computers and calculators as a mathematical tool.
- Encourage confidence, enjoyment and satisfaction through the development and use of Mathematics.
The Pure Mathematics Advanced Examination is made up of two papers. The content includes:
- Polynomials, rational functions, the factor and remainder theorems.
- Arithmetic series, finite and infinite geometric series
- Simple counting problems involving permutations and combinations.
- Plane Cartesian coordinates. Simple curve sketching.
- Complex numbers.
- The derivative as a limit.
- Integration as the limit of a sum and as the inverse of differentiation.
- First order differential equations with separable variables.
- Vectors in two and three dimensions.
- The algebra of matrices.
- Summation of simple finite series.
- Method of induction.
- The exponential form of a complex number.
- Definition and properties of the vector product.
- Further integration.
- Polar coordinates
- Elementary matrix
- Numerical methods
- Elementary probability.
(Based on the Matsec Syllabus Pure Mathematics A Level)
Explore the entire syllabus (topics in detail, pre-requisites, specimen paper and grade descriptors here): http://www.um.edu.mt/matsec
To apply for Pure Mathematics A Level course call +356 21227799 or email us for more information.