Advanced Level French
1 session of 1.5 hours weekly
This course aims at consolidating and extending the knowledge of French acquired at SEC level by providing students the means of:
Understanding the spoken and written forms of the language from a variety of registers
- Reading coherently and articulating French linguistic sounds and French prosody in a context
- Being able to communicate clearly, confidently, fluently and intelligibly and with accuracy in spoken French
- Communicating accurately in writing
- Increasing their interest in a greater awareness of French culture and civilization including francophonie, and developing critical insights into the culture of France and the other countries where French is spoken
- Instilling in them a love for French literature through the introduction of three integral texts.
- Acquiring such love for the language and the people who speak it as to encourage further studies at degree level.
- competence in handling the English language accurately, with minimal errors in grammar and spelling;
- the ability to communicate ideas effectively and through coherent logic and structure in expression and argumentation;
- a knowledge of various aspects and variations of English style, and the ability to apply this knowledge to good effect and ideally with some evidence of stylishness and flair in one’s own writing;
- an understanding of different forms and genres of written English in terms of ideas, intention, expression and appropriateness;
The French Advanced Examination is made up of three papers, an oral examination and a dictation. The content includes:
- Text Analysis
- Discourse Analysis
- Functional Analysis
- Essay and Written Comprehension
- Literary Studies
(Based on the Matsec Syllabus French A Level)
Explore the entire syllabus (topics in detail, pre-requisites, specimen paper and grade descriptors here): http://www.um.edu.mt/matsec
To apply for French A Level course call +356 21227799 or email us for more information.