2 sessions of 2 hours weekly
Courses catering for:
The aim of this course is to:
- stimulate students, create and sustain their interest in, and enjoyment of, the study of chemistry.
- enable students to acquire a knowledge of basic chemical concepts and an understanding of chemical principles and patterns.
- lay a sound foundation for those who intend to pursue their studies in chemistry or related subjects further, and also cater for those students who intend to terminate their study of chemistry at this level.
- encourage students to appreciate that chemistry is a dynamic and evolving subject and that its principles and theories may change.
- make students aware of the importance of adopting the scientific method of investigation.
- develop relevant practical skills whilst having due regard to correct and safe laboratory practice.
- develop students’ experimental and investigative competence.
- develop students’ abilities to:
- form hypotheses and design experiments to test these hypotheses;
- organize, interpret and evaluate chemical information in order to draw conclusions, make decisions and /
- or solve problems;
- communicate their chemical knowledge and findings in appropriate way
- encourage students to apply their chemical knowledge and understanding to familiar and unfamiliar situations.
- develop students’ appreciation of the environmental and technological applications of chemistry and of the economic, ethical and social implications of these.
Courses in Chemistry will be in preparation for the Chemistry O Level Examination, which is made up of two papers and an assessment of practical work. The content includes:
- Facts of Chemistry;
- Principles of Chemistry;
- Chemistry, Society and the Natural Environment;
- Chemical Laboratory Experience
(Matsec Syllabus Chemistry O Level)
Explore the entire syllabus (topics in detail, pre-requisites, specimen paper and grade descriptors here) :
To apply for the Chemistry secondary course call 21227799, 21235314 or email us for more information.